Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Teen Driving...

          The article about teenage driving from The New York Times was terrifying. Teenagers are known for making horrible decisions, and this experiment just helped prove this stereotype. We are dumb when we hang around our friends because we want to impress them. Most teens would admit that they are pretty different at home when no one is around to judge them. I was surprised when the article said that, after going through puberty, an adolescent's brain actually goes through changes that makes her more self-conscious and aware of others opinions about her. This explains so much of why that phase of caring about what others think about them began in middle school for everyone, and I found that interesting. The fact that the video game driving test results changed so much for teens when they knew their friends were watching is scary. I know I rarely go out by myself, whether it's with family or friends, although I'm not much of a risk-taker. Still, so many teenagers are, and it seems like we hear about teen car crashes every day - if it's not texting, it's peer pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment